Facebook Insights is a very helpful tool when you’re starting a marketing campaign using Facebook. The Insights page will show important data that will help you make sense of the activities that are happening in the page you have set up.
Facebook Insights contain two very unique kinds of insights — the Page Insights and Domain Insights.
The Page Insights feature monitors the activity happening on your Facebook page. The data presented here shows you what fans are doing on your Facebook Timeline or with the messages that are posted on their respective News Feeds. Page Insights shows various online activities like pages liked, comments made, wall posts and page views. This includes spartan demographic information that can be quite useful. You can look at your Page insights by logging into your Facebook account and then going to: http://www.facebook.com/insights/.
Among the information you can see on your Page Insights are:
- User Demographics – this shows the demographic data of your audience.
- External References – this shows the websites that people come from to get to your page.
- Viewed Tabs – This shows that tabs that your visitors are viewing.
- Media Consumption – This shows the type of media your viewers are accessing – this can be video, audio or photos.
- Successful messages – This shows the statistics for individual messages that we have posted on our Facebook page. This is particularly powerful because we can see how particular content is received by your fans.
- Activity from a campaign – This shows the statistics for campaigns we start in Facebook
- Unsubscribes – This shows the people who are unsubscribing from your page.
Domain Insights are directly connected to your actual website. This particular part of Facebook Insights gives you various track statistics related to your domain name. This feature is particularly powerful especially if your website has a ton of content and you love to share it on Facebook.
Domain Insights track all of the content originating from your website URL that you have shared on Facebook. One good benefit of this feature is that it gives you an idea about whether content from your website can be easily shared on Facebook. Content that is not easy to share will carry very little data on Domain Insights.
You have to set up Domain Insights before can take advantage of its tracking feature. Here’s how to do it:
- First log in to your Facebook profile and visit the main Insights page.
- Click on the green Insights for your Domain button located at the upper right corner.
- You need to input your domain name and the Facebook user account that you will identify as the owner of the Domain Insights.
- Upon adding all of this information, You will be given a small meta code. You need to put this code in a certain portion of all the pages on your website. A web developer may be needed for this task.
Facebook Insights are powerful social listening tools that will help you with your social media strategies. It may take time to really learn what it can do but it is worth the time and effort of studying it.